The Evidence Coordinator provides care, custody, and control of all evidence and found property retained and stored in the Monroe County Sheriff's Office evidence rooms.
- Ensures the integrity of the evidence room to be safe, secure, and in proper condition.
- Maintains log documenting all persons who enter the Evidence room and a written chain of custody.
- Retrieves evidence from secured lockers logs and secures items in Evidence Room.
- Transports evidence to the Michigan State Police Forensic Laboratory for analysis
- Obtains results of analysis and provides to investigator(s) for criminal prosecution..
- Maintains continuous accountability for every item of evidence at all times.
- Tracks disposition of criminal cases and prepares evidence destruction orders.
- Retains copies of all destruction court orders and prepares offense supplemental destruction reports when evidence has been destroyed.
- Processes and release evidence to owners as warranted.
- Attempts to locate owners and release found property to owners upon request.
- Conducts monthly audits and Prepares monthly evidence audit reports
- Works with the Monroe County Prosecutor's office for copies of the evidence for court proceedings
- Maintains all Archived Police reports
- Provides training to new hires on evidence procedures