How do I request an attorney?

If you are charged with a crime and faced with the possibility of jail time or prison, you are entitled to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you after a judge rules that you qualify. In Monroe County, anyone who desires an attorney present at arraignment is given one. That attorney is known as the Counsel at First Appearance (CAFA). That attorney will be with you for your arraignment, but may not be your attorney for the length of the case. At your arraignment, you will be asked to fill out a form that details your financial situation. You must answer these questions truthfully. If you are deemed indigent or unable to afford an attorney, the judge will approve your request and an attorney will be appointed for you.

Show All Answers

1. What are my rights in a criminal case?
2. What is the difference between a civil infraction, misdemeanor and felony?
3. I’ve been charged with a crime. What happens now?
4. How do I request an attorney?
5. When will my appointed attorney meet with me?
6. Can I pay my Court Appointed Attorney to get them to work harder for me?
7. My attorney won’t give me my Discovery Packet or file. Aren’t they required to do so?
8. My attorney asked if my family could pay for an expert or investigator. What if I can’t afford it?
9. I don’t like my attorney. Can I have a new one appointed?
10. Is my court appointed attorney a "real" attorney?
11. How should I dress when I have a hearing?