What happens if the court finds my child guilty?

If a youth is found guilty at trial or admits to a crime, the court will then prepare to enter a "disposition," which is like the sentencing stage in the adult court system.

The judge (or referee) can require a youth to do a variety of things as a part of the disposition, including requiring that the young person:

  • Be assigned a probation officer who will monitor the youth's behavior and compliance with any rules the court imposes;
  • Participate in counseling, drug or alcohol treatment, anger management, or educational classes;
  • Perform community service;
  • Provide restitution, or pay back victims of their crime;
  • Be sent to the Monroe County Youth Center to participate in the treatment program;
  • Be waived into the adult court system for adult proceedings;
  • Pay a crime victim rights assessment fee, and reimbursement of court-appointed attorney expenses and other court service expenses.

Before the disposition hearing, a probation officer will be assigned who will conduct an in-depth interview with the young person and at least one parent or guardian. This is a very important meeting because it gathers a lot of information that will be used to decide what is best for the youth. This is also a critical time for you as a parent to share information so the court can assist you in addressing the issues that your child is having.

After the initial interview is held, a report will be written by the probation officer that will make a recommendation to the judge about what should happen to the youth. You will be provided a copy of this report prior to the hearing and your input will be considered in the probation officer's recommendation. During the dispositional hearing, the judge (or referee) will determine what should happen to the youth as a result of their delinquent behavior.

Show All Answers

1. What happens at the initial court hearing?
2. What is a referee?
3. If your child’s case is dismissed
4. If your child’s case is diverted:
5. What happens if my child is formally charged with a crime?
6. What rights does my child have if there is a trial?
7. What happens if the court finds my child guilty?