What do I send?
  • A fully completed application;
  • Itemized copies of all bills you want to claim. If you need further medical treatment, see if your doctor can give you a written estimate of future expenses;
  • Copies of insurance or Medicare benefit statements for all expenses;
  • For lost earnings, copies of recent payroll check stubs and disability statements from your doctor;
  • For burial assistance, a copy of the signed itemized funeral bill;
  • For counseling, ask your therapist for an assessment, treatment plan and itemized bill or estimate;
  • For loss of support, send check stubs or the last tax return of the person who died, and the survivor's social security benefit and life insurance statements.

Note: Do not submit false information! Doing so to get money from the State is a crime. Plus, those who receive money to which they are not entitled, cheat legitimate crime victims by depleting the limited resources the State of Michigan has available for crime victim compensation.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Crime Victim Compensation Fund?
2. What compensation may be awarded?
3. What losses are not covered?
4. Where does the money come from?
5. Am I a "crime victim"?
6. Does the Crime Victim Compensation Fund only apply to "assault" victims?
7. What conditions apply to the Crime Victim Compensation Fund?
8. How do I file a claim?
9. What do I send?
10. When do I file a claim?
11. Do I need an attorney to file a claim?
12. Is my claim limited because I also have insurance?
13. What happens after a claim is filed?
14. How long does it take for my claim to be reviewed?
15. If my claim is denied, can I appeal?
16. Is my application confidential?