What if the person needs further evaluation?

Court staff will tell you to come in person to the courthouse - 106 E First Street (2nd floor) to fill out a petition. You will need to describe in writing:

  1. What specific symptoms and behaviors the person is displaying.
  2. What harmful or threatening behavior to him/herself or others did the person demonstrate that concerns you.

Petitions can be filed between 8 am to 12 pm and 1 pm to 4 pm, Monday through Friday, except on holidays.

Show All Answers

1. What is involuntary commitment?
2. How do I know if a person is mentally ill?
3. Who should I call?
4. What will the Court need to know?
5. What if the person needs further evaluation?
6. What happens next?
7. Where will the person be taken?
8. What happens at the hospital?
9. What if the hospital determines that the person does not require hospitalization?
10. And if the person is diagnosed as requiring treatment?
11. How long will the person be kept in the treatment facility?
12. Could it be longer?