Per MCR 1.110
Fines, costs, and other financial obligations imposed by the court must be paid at the time of assessment, except when the court allows otherwise, for good cause shown.
Fines, Costs and Fees Information
The 1st District Court Civil Division is OPEN to the PUBLIC on
Monday thru Friday, from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. and is
Closed on the weekends and holidays.
Citation means “a complaint or notice upon which a sworn officer shall record an occurrence involving one or more violations by the person cited.” The person cited is the defendant. A citation can be a traffic civil infraction, a non-traffic civil infraction or a misdemeanor depending on the seriousness of the violation. All defendants who receive a citation must respond to the allegations in the citation.
When a citation is written under Statute (or State Law), the entire Fine (Penal or Civil) portion collected is transmitted to the local library system and the entire Cost portion (excluding the Justice System Assessment) is transmitted to the District Court’s funding unit (Monroe County).
When a non-commercial vehicle citation is written under Ordinance (or law adopted by a local City, Township, Village or other Municipality), 33% of the fine and cost portions collected by the District Court is transmitted to the appropriate locality and 67% is transmitted to the District Court’s funding unit (Monroe County) [MCL 600.8379(c)].
When an adopted commercial vehicle citation is written under ordinance after 5-15-00,70% of the fine portion collected by the District Court is transmitted to the municipality,30% of the fine portion is transmitted to the local library system, 33% of the cost portion is transmitted to the municipality and 67% of the cost portion is transmitted to the District Court’s funding unit (Monroe County) [MCL 600.8379(e)].
JSAF: JUSTICE SYSTEM (Assessments) FUND
Beginning 10-01-03, the Justice System Fund (JSF) was created in the Michigan State Treasury. The JSF money is distributed by the state treasurer to the following funds by a formula established in the statute
- Secondary Road Patrol and Training Fund created in MCL 257.629e
- Highway Safety Fund created in MCL 257.629e
- Jail Reimbursement Program Fund created in MCL 257.629e
- Michigan Justice Training Fund created in MCL 18.425
- Legislative Retirement System created in MCL 38.1001 to 38.1080
- Drug Treatment Court Fund created in MCL 600.185
- State Forensic Laboratory Fund created in MCL 12.203
- State Court Fund created in MCL 600.151a
- Court Equity Fund created in MCL 600.151b
- State Treasurer for monitoring collection and distribution of fund receipts
- State Court Administrative Office (SCAO) for management assistance and audit of trial court collections
The following State Minimum Costs, when Court ordered, are to be deposited into Justice System Fund:
Misdemeanor Offenses: $50.00 Civil infraction Offenses $40.00 Non-Traffic State and Municipal Civil Infractions $10.00