Monroe, Michigan 48161
THE PUBLIC IS ALLOWED ENTRANCE INTO THE COURTHOUSE.
Members of the public who are not fully vaccinated are required to wear facial coverings, unless medically intolerable. Security must be advised of the intolerance and alternate service measures will be provided.
A DROP BOX IS AVAILABLE AT THE COURTHOUSE ENTRANCE FOR FILINGS & PAYMENTS.
Please click below to view live court YouTube streams.
Only available when court is in session
The 1st District Court will provide access and services to all Court Users in a Fair, Consistent and Timely Manner.
In fulfillment of the mission, we are committed to:
- Resolving civil and criminal matters fairly and efficiently
- Providing a dignified, safe and courteous environment for all people who work in and use the services of the Court
- Effectively allocating resources to implement those mandates of the Legislature and the Michigan Supreme Court
- Seeking cooperation of all court personnel to further the goal of total accountability to the Public
- Actively integrating the Court’s resources with those of the community, while protecting the rights of all persons regardless of race, gender, religious or sexual preference.
District Court, with which citizens have contact more than any other court, has exclusive jurisdiction of all civil litigation up to $25,000 and handles garnishments, eviction proceedings, land contract and mortgage foreclosures, and other proceedings. In the criminal field, district court handles all misdemeanors where punishment does not exceed one year, including arraignment, setting and acceptance of bail, trial and sentencing, and conducts preliminary examinations in felony cases.
A small claims division for civil cases up to $6,500 is provided in district court. In these cases litigants agree to waive their right to a jury, rules of evidence, representation by a lawyer, and the right to appeal from the district judge's decision. If either party objects, the case will be heard by the general civil division of the district court. A pdf file is available regarding Information on Starting A Small Claims Suit or click the Small Claims Self Help link at http://www.courts.michigan.gov/self-help/center/pages/default.aspx Free small claims forms are available at the Michigan Supreme court site at the following Michigan.gov link.