• Background

Environmental Health

Environmental Health

Foodborne Illness

If you are experiencing possible Foodborne illness symptoms you should first contact a physician and care for your immediate condition.  Then contact the MONROE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH DIVISION, to report the alleged incident for investigation at (734) 240-7900.

Please be prepared to provide the name of the establishment, the time you consumed the food, and a description of what you ate.  The online reporting system is designed to walk you through all of the questions that the Monroe County Health Department will require, and maybe more beneficial than calling in, as you can go back and change or update your answers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  The following information will be needed when you call or report online:

  • Your Name, Address, and Phone Number
  • Any medications you are currently taking
  • Allergies
  • Where you work or go to school
  • Physician or Hospital that you visited or that referred you to notify the health department
  • Symptoms of illness and when they onset and/or ended
  • Laboratory testing information and results from blood, stool, urine or other samples
  • Travel in the previous month
  • Drinking water sources at home and work
  • List of names that you have contact with that have or had similar symptoms, with phone numbers and addresses
  • Food purchase locations in the last 2 weeks before illness
  • Name(s) of restaurant(s)
  • Location/address of restaurant (it must be in Monroe County)
  • Date of suspect meal
  • Specific information about the suspected foods that you suspect made you sick
  • 3-day food eating history

Substantiated cases of food-borne illness affect many Monroe County residents every year and many others remain undetected by the Health Care Community or the Local Health Department.   

For More Extensive Info Check-Out: 

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Foodborne Illness

The Centers for Disease Control website is an authoritative site for Foodborne Illness Studies and can be reached at http://www.cdc.gov/foodnet/  

For user-friendly information on the foodborne illness, you may wish to consult CDC’s interactive food safety website http://www.fightbac.org/ 

FDA Food Code

FDA General Site

Safe Food Handling

Search Federal Law

Consumer Advice on Food Products

Michigan Food Law / MDARD

Have any further questions regarding this matter, please contact our office

(734) 240-7900, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.