• Background

Drain Commission

Drain Commission

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions about Drain Assessments (pdf)

Is the drain in front of my house next to the road a county drain?
Probably not.  You should first contact the Monroe County Road Commission at (734)240-5102.  Most road drainage is under their jurisdiction.

How can I have my County Drain cleaned?
Call the Drain Commissioner's Office and request a petition for drain cleanout.

I don't need a cleanout, but my County Drain needs maintenance.  Can you help me?
Yes.  Call and express your concerns.  The Drain Commissioner's staff will look into the problem.

Do you work with Flood Plains?
No.  Flood Plains are under the jurisdiction of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality.   Contact their Jackson, Michigan office at (517) 780-7915 or you may view the FEMA Flood Plain Maps by clicking on the link: http://www.esri.com/hazards/makemap.html.

Do you determine wetlands?
No. Wet lands are under the jurisdiction of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. Click on the link:http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3313_3687---,00.html

I have standing water in my yard.  Is this under the Drain Commissioner's jurisdiction?
No.  The Drain Commissioner only maintains Dedicated Drains.  It is the responsibility of the property owner to drain his/her water to our public outlet.

My sump pump has been running more than normal should I call the Drain Office?
No.  If your sump pump is running it is doing what it is suppose to do.

I have drainage concerns other than these listed questions, what should I do?
Contact the Drain Commissioner's Office at (734) 240-3101.  We will be glad to help